The Galveston Beach Challenge is Sunday, August 18th, 12 pm – 4:30 pm CST, 6th and Seawall Blvd., Galveston, TX 77550. Check-in begins Sunday, August 18th at 11 am CST. This
Sales Tax Holiday Texas August 9th Thru Aug 11th 2019
The annual sales tax holiday for Texas begins Friday, August 9 and ends midnight Sunday, August 11. During this tax free weekend, you can buy most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks (sold for less than $100) tax free from a Texas store or from online or catalog sellers doing business in Texas. In most cases you do not need to give a seller an exemption certificate to purchase qualifying items tax free.
The sales tax exemption only applies to qualifying items purchased during the sales tax holiday. Items purchased before or after the sales tax holiday do not qualify for exemption, and there is no tax refund available.
During the sales tax holiday most footwear and clothing (sold for less than $100) is tax free.
The exemption applies to each eligible item sold for less than $100, there is no limit to the number of qualifying items you can buy.
Items that Do Not Qualify
1) Items that sold for $100 or more
2) Clothing subscription boxes
3) Specially designed athletic activity or protective-use clothing or footwear-golf cleats, football pads. However, tennis shoes, jogging suits, and swimsuits can be worn for other than athletic activity and qualify for the exemption.
4) Clothing or footwear rentals, alterations (including embroidery) & cleaning services
5) Items used to make or repair clothing, such as fabric, thread, buttons, etc.
6) Jewelry, handbags, purses, luggage, umbrellas, wallets, watches, & other accessories
During the tax free sales holiday, student backpacks sold for less than $100 are tax exempt. This exemption includes backpacks with wheels and messenger bags. You can buy up to 10 backpacks tax free at any one time without an exemption certificate.
Only specific school supplies sold for less than $100 qualify for the exemption and an exemption certificate is not required. See the list of school supplies that qualify for the exemption as well as Special Purchases, Layaways, Special Orders and Rain Checks. Additional Charges Affecting the Sales Price, and What Sellers Need to Know at https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/publications/98-490/
Latest Blog Posts
The annual sales tax holiday for Texas begins Friday, August 9 and ends midnight Sunday, August 11. During this tax free weekend, you can buy most clothing, footwear, school supplies and